life is always about the journey...

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Love French Onion Soup?

Then you'd love this French Onion Bake!  
It has quickly become a family favorite of ours and I've made it three times already.  I have doctored up the original recipe a bit from what I originally pinned because that's how I roll when I cook :)


But its super easy to put together and lemme tell ya it tastes even better the next day. 
If you make it a day ahead of your event or dinner do NOT put the bread or last layer of cheese on it....leave that off until you are ready to bake. You don't want soggy bread...yucky.


Ingredients:

- 3-4 lg/med yellow onions
- 3-4 TBS butter
- 2 cloves of diced/crushed garlic
-a splash of red wine or sherry (optional)
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 bag of shredded Swiss Cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
-1 TBS Soy Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sliced French Bread Slices


Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice onions thinly and sautee in pan with butter till onions are clear...slightly brown is fine too
-In sauce pan heat up milk, soup, Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, and salt/pepper till heated and mixed well.
-In square or oval baking/casserole pan add your cooked onions in an even layer
-Then pour your heated soup mixture over the onions
-Add half a bag of shredded Swiss Cheese over the onions
-Take your bread slices and lay over your mixture
-Cook at 350 degs for 15 mins uncovered to toast the bread
-After that pull out & flip over your bread & add rest of cheese to top of bread
-Cook for 15-20 minutes more or until cheese and sauce is warm & bubbly

(if you make ahead and refrigerate make sure to set out until its room temperature before cooking)

Its so good I want some more right now :)
Let me know if you try it and love it!




Share:

2 comments

  1. Hi Suzanne! I would love to try this. A couple of questions for you. Do you serve as main course or as a side to main? Can you tell me the size of the bag of the cheese??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut the french bread into bite size peices and then pre-toasted. Croutons would probably be good too!! I made this as a side for thanksgiving and it was such a hit i made it for Easter today. Thanks!!!
    Ps, to the commenter above, can you ever really have enough cheese? I load it on!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me, I hope I made you smile or inspired you in some way! I appreciate you stopping by!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig